The building that is now Center Stage was originally a meeting house for the Evergreen Conference, an Episcopal Church music camp. Summer meetings were held in these buildings from 1924 through 1995. The buildings which include the Evergreen Conference Center (next door to Center Stage) were originally called the “Upper Campus” of the Evergreen Conference. The “Lower Campus” included the buildings across Bear Creek, now used by the Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration, Evergreen Christian Outreach, and St. Rafael’s Retreat House.
Center Stage became the performing venue for the Evergreen Chorale in 1972 and the Chorale purchased the building in 1991. Since acquiring the facility, the Chorale has begun the process of building improvement and renovation. Many of the projects have already been completed, including the main lobby, bathrooms, green room, and auditorium seating. The lobby was added to Center Stage in 2004-2005 through the efforts of the Evergreen Rotary Club as a Rotary Legacy Project.
Since the completion of the Lobby expansion and the addition of the Evergreen Rotary Gallery, Center Stage is truly now a place where the Arts come alive! The lobby houses the Rotary Gallery, where you can see art and photographs created by local artists.
The Chorale's desire is that Center Stage be a place used by many performing arts organizations, in addition to the Evergreen Chorale. Center Stage is also the performing home of the Evergreen Players, and the Evergreen Children’s Chorale, as well organizations such as the High Pointe Dance Academy, the Colorado Children's Theatre, and Rocky Mountain Academy of Evergreen.
Center Stage also hosts summer drama and music camps for kindergarten through high school, and the Evergreen Chorale provides scholarships and mentoring activities for aspiring high school singers.
Click here for more information about renting Center Stage.